My debut fantasy novel, The Gloaming, is now available for pre-order! It will be released on October 13, 2019. E-books will be available from Amazon, Google Books, Apple Books, etc. Paperbacks will be available from Amazon and IngramSpark (which means you can ask your local bookstore or library to order it in for you).
- The Gloaming follows the adventures of Billy Porter from the ages of ten to seventeen.
- It is an intrusion/portal fantasy, split evenly between Earth and a secondary world. The characters travel back and forth between realms at will, and events in one realm can have dire effects on the other.
- Extra-dimensional humanoid creatures called wraiths live in the secondary world, and some also inhabit Earth. Most humans despise them, but Billy manages to foster a few close friendships.
- Over the course of the book, Billy encounters evil human scientists, a tyrannical wraith king, a magic-induced “natural” disaster, and more.
- Overcoming prejudice and cultural expectations are important themes in the book.
- There may or may not be a dragon at some point.
At 600-odd pages, The Gloaming is not a quick read. However, it is conveniently split into three parts. If you want to take a break in between, you can easily do that. But if you’re the kind of reader who likes to plow through a book in one sitting, you can do that too.
The Gloaming is a complete story with no cliffhangers. However, there are a few areas that I think would make for a good sequel. I’ve planned it out already, but I’m only going to write it if the demand is there. Books take a lot of time and effort to write, and once you factor in editing, book covers, formatting, and marketing, they can be expensive too. The time investment is not an issue because it’s a labor of love, but the money side of things is a bit more worrying. I don’t expect to get rich off of writing, but I would like to break even.
Not sure if The Gloaming is right for you? Want to start reading RIGHT NOW? You can check out the first chapter here for free.